Billeaud Sugar Mill. Collection, 1946-1981, n.d.
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of the sugar mill office files, which include ledger books, daily reports, financial reports, land abstracts, publications, correspondence, minutes of meetings, general records, and much more.
Pat St. Julien donated this collection.
Dates
- 1946-1981, n.d.
Creator
- Billeaud Sugar Mill (Organization)
- Billeaud Companies (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The Billeaud Sugar Mill was built in Broussard, Louisiana by Martial Billeaud in 1872. The factory produced about four hundred tons of sugar cane daily. Billeaud sold the business to his children in 1914, which then became Billeaud Sugar Factory, Inc. With the help of the sugar boom in southwest Louisiana, the factory was very successful. In 1979, however, the sugar mill closed and the company decided to refocus its efforts on real estate. Billeaud Companies continues to operate today in commercial real estate and land development, boasting 140 years of a family-owned and operated business.
Extent
32.5 Linear Feet (35.5 feet of materials contained in 31 boxes with oversize materials.)
Language of Materials
English
- Records, including corporate minutes and bank account information
- Financial and employee records
- Title
- Billeaud Sugar Mill Collection
- Status
- Completed
- Author
- Zack Stein
- Date
- 09/01/2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Undetermined
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- English
Repository Details
Part of the University Archives and Acadiana Manuscripts Collection Repository
Edith Garland Dupré Library
University of Louisiana at Lafayette
400 East St. Mary Blvd.
Lafayette LA 70503 United States
337-482-6031
speccoll@louisiana.edu